This is a difficult but fun freestyle trick that leaves you upright with your arm outstretched. “It’s not a particularly practical move on your daily ride; it’s more to show off in front of your local 7-Eleven,” says renowned mountain biker Hans Rey.
1. Stand on the right side of your bike.
2. Lock the rear brake with your right hand. “My rear brake is on the left side, which is why it appears opposite in the photos,” notes Hans.
3. Upend the bike next to you.
4. Place your left foot on the top of the rear tire. (Image 1)
5. Stand up and place your other foot between the frame and the tire. If there is no room, try stepping on the seat tube, though this is much more difficult. (Image 2)
6. Begin hopping your bike immediately to keep your balance. Your center of gravity should be directly above the rear hub.
7. Raise your left hand into the air like Lady Liberty herself. (Image 3)
8. Reverse each movement to dismount.