The bike season in Livigno is about to take off and all gravity loving mountain bike riders can look forward to the Swatch Bikepark Mottolino Opening on June 12th and 13th. The one of its kind mountain scenery in Northern Italy is often called “little Tibet” and offers 3.200 kilometers/ 2,000 miles of trails and GPS-tracks for mountain bikers and road cyclists (www.outdoor.livigno.eu). The unique bike destination owns a well-built infrastructure that makes it easy to reach by car (Munt La Schera tunnel is open for 24h since 2010) and by train. The Italian mountain resort provides various customized services and offers for all bike fans and vacationers. Livigno also hosts a selection of international bike highlights like the Giro d’ Italia, Transalp, the La Pedaleda Marathon, the Woman Tour of Italy, the 1st IMBA (International Mountain Bike Association) “Flow Country” conference and the SuperEnduro race series in 2010.
Livigno’s event-bag is also well packed for all the ones that are more into races and competitions:
- The “Giro d’ Italia“ – the Tour of Italy – visited Livigno on Saturday, May 29th. All the relevant information can be found on: www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Giroditalia/2010/en/?lang=en&t=01 .
- The SuperEnduro series makes a Pro tour stop in Livigno from June 19th to 20th. The unique competition format of the SuperEnduro makes it the most fun event for all participants: you have a certain amount of time to climb an uphill section, but your time at the downhill sections counts for the actual result. You are only allowed to use one bike for the different stages of the comp, so it makes the SuperEnduro series the perfect competition for all the regular mountain bike riders that don’t want to have the performance pressure on the classic cross country or downhill races. More information can be found on: www.superenduromtb.com/en/filosofia/.
- The Women Tour of Italy “Giro d’ Italia Femminile” takes a break in Livigno on the second Weekend in July: between the eighth stage from Chiavenna to Livigno (93 km) on July 9th and the her ninth stage from Livigno to the Stelvio Pass (68,50 km) on July 10th (www.girodonne.it)
- The „Transalp“ – the most popular mountain bike stage race across the alps – visits Livigno after four of overall eight stages: Scuol – Livigno on July 20th and Livigno – Ponte Di Legno on July 21st (www.bike-transalp.de/englisch/)
- The long “La Pedaleda” weekend does not only feature a 40 kilometers race and the legendary “La Pedaleda Marathon” (80 kilometers) on August 22nd. The “La Pedaleda Tour” event starts on August 19th and offers a well-packed program including three tour stages – one each day. Different hotel & event packages are also offered to make it easy for all interested riders: www.lapedaleda.it/en/
- The Swatch Bikepark’s annual “Mottolino Freeride Contest” marks the end of the 2010 gravity bike season in Livigno on September 25th: Three easy going and fun orientated disciplines are open for everyone: the “Easy Downhill”, the “Jump Session” on Livigno’s dirt jump line, and the “Trick Trial” on the big air cushion at the “Swatch Shoot my Ride” area.
Until then, the Swatch Bikepark Mottolino has following operation times: June 12th to September 26th: from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. as well as every weekend and every day from July 17th to August 29th: from 9 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Get all the information you might need on:www.mottolino.com. Additional summer accommodation packages offer pure bargains. The “MTB PARADISE 4×3” includes four nights accommodation for the price of three, if you arrive on Sunday. Starting at a price of 195 Euros, this package is offered from June 5th to October 16th (www.livigno.eu).
Livigno is waiting for you with endless trails and tour options. Thanks to the services offered by the AR Bike Hotels, professional instructors (www.madnessnow.com) and the different transport facilities – not only the bike park gondolas, but also the Red Bernina Train – all cross country and freeride fans won’t get any chance to get bored in Livigno, but instead they can explore the unique “little Tibet” in the centre of Europe by bike.
General Information about the bike destination Livigno:
Livigno is famous for a great range of winter sport activities and provides a breathtaking nature that can also be discovered by bike in the summertime. Its unique mountain scenery is often nicknamed as “Little Tibet”. Down in the valley, the town centre of Livigno offers 250 tax free shops. Located right in the heart of Europe, Livigno can be easily reached by car or train. The specialized AR Bikehotels provide customized services for all bike fans and vacationers. The spectrum of trails around Livigno features a broad variety: cross country, all mountain and downhill riders can choose perfectly fitting sportive challenges. Also road cycling athletes choose Livigno (1816 m a.s.l.) for altitude training. Overall 3,200 kilometers trail-maps and GPS-tracks around Livigno are available. The Swatch Bikepark Livigno Mottolino is not only well-known among the gravity sport fans, because of the UCI Mountain Bike World Championships in 2005, but also for a big range of different freeride tracks. This Kona Groove Approved Bike Park combines progression in building new trails and obstacles with respecting the environment at the same time – a project supported by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF). All cross country fans might also know Livigno as an official tour stop of the Transalp stage race and the Superenduro race series, or as host of the La Pedaleda Marathon. All three competitions are again part of Livigno’s event schedule for 2010.
General information about the destination Livigno can be found on: www.livigno.eu